Copyright law grants viewing/usage rights only:

  1. for the purpose of private, in-home viewing;
  2. as part of mediated, face-to-face classroom instructional activity;
  3. if the item has been borrowed or purchased with public performance rights granted.

This means if you or your group wish to host a public showing of a movie or video, you must purchase a Public Performance License (typically ranging from $300-$500) from a licensing agent. A license is required even if you offer the showing for free and the film is educational in nature.

For your convenience, the College provides a list of non-theatrical movie distributors and licensing agents: