North Hennepin Community College is committed to being a military-friendly campus. Our helpful staff can assist you with all of your academic needs!
We certify all of our listed degrees and majors for the GI Bill and offer assistance with:
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Post 9/11 (Ch. 33)
- Active Duty (Ch. 30)
- Reserve Education Assistance Program (Ch. 1607)
- Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch. 31)
- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Ch. 35)
- Veteran Educational Assistance Program (Ch. 32)
- Minnesota GI Bill
- Federal Tuition Assistance
Veteran's or active duty military members can apply to NHCC for free by showing your active ID or DD214 to our Admission Office when you apply. No reimbursements can be issued if you pay the application fee before providing documentation of military service.
- Please reference our Veterans Successful Start Guide for important steps to complete as part of the admission process as well as during your time at NHCC: Veteran Successful Start Guide.
GI Bill Tuition Deferment
Students awaiting GI benefits under Chapters 30, 33, 1606, 1607, 31 or 35 will have tuition automatically deferred, while they are waiting GI Bill payments. Tuition will be deferred when enrollment is submitted to the VA by the Certifying Official. Deferring tuition will hold your courses without having to set up a payment plan.
Credit for Military Training
Your military training may be considered for college credit. It is a good idea to submit your military transcript(s) for evaluation as soon as possible. Request and submit military transcripts from:
After NHCC receives your official transcripts, the transfer specialist will review your military training based upon the American Council of Education standards for Military Programs. The College will provide you a copy of your Degree Audit Report (DARS) indicating what was accepted in transfer.
Veterans Resource Center
The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) is located in the Campus Center and provides space for our veterans to study and relax. The VRC includes computers, meeting space, and VA benefit information.