| | | |

Veterans Affairs

Veteran Services

North Hennepin Community College is committed to being a veteran and military-friendly campus.  Our helpful staff can assist you with all of your veteran needs! We proudly certify all of our listed degrees and majors for the GI Bill. 

Veteran Picture

Please reference our Veterans Successful Start Guide for Important steps prior to the beginning of each semester at NHCC:

Veteran Successful Start Guide

We offer assistance with:

  • Montgomery GI Bill
  • Post 9/11 (Ch. 33)
  • Active Duty (Ch. 30)
  • Reserve Education Assistance Program (Ch. 1607)
  • Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch. 31)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Ch. 35)
  • Veteran Educational Assistance Program (Ch. 32)
  • Minnesota GI Bill
  • Federal Tuition Assistance 

In Educational Services, there is a Veterans Resource Center to provide a private area for our veterans to study and relax. The VRC includes computers, meeting space, and VA benefit information.

Are you a veteran or active duty military member planning to enroll at NHCC? Apply to NHCC for FREE by showing your active ID or DD214 form to our Admissions & Outreach office when you apply.

*Note: No reimbursements of the $20 application fee can be issued if you pay the fee before providing documentation of service.

GI Bill Tuition Deferment

Effective Fall semester 2008, students awaiting GI benefits under Chapters 30, 33, 1606, 1607, 31 or 35 will have tuition automatically deferred, while they are waiting GI Bill payments. Tuition will be deferred when enrollment is submitted to the VA by the Certifying Official. Deferring tuition will hold your courses without having to set up a payment plan.  

You are responsible to drop your course(s) if you do not plan on attending. Your course will not be canceled for non-payment.

Tuition for the semester will need to be paid in full by the payment plan due date. See payment options for due date.

Contact the certifying official for more information. veterans@nhcc.edu

Credit for Military Training

Your military training may be considered for college credit! It's a good idea to submit your military transcript(s) for evaluation as soon as possible.

Request and submit military transcripts from:

The transfer specialist will review your military training based upon the American Council of Education standards for Military Programs. The College will provide you a copy of your Degree Audit Report (DARS) indicating what was accepted in transfer.



Contact Information

VA Benefit Advisor
Charles Egerstrom
MDVA Regional Coordinator

Veterans Student Advisor
Ben Mullen
Advising Center
Veteran Academic Advisor

Transfer Staff

Certifying Official
Anong Thor
Financial Aid & Scholarships Office

Educational Services Building

VA Regional Processing Office
PO Box 66830
St. Louis MO 63166-6830

GI Bill Ask a Question

Follow NHCC Veterans Resource Center on Facebook for updates on benefits, fun events, Veteran Student Association, and more!