When Are You Going on Your Study Abroad Experience?
NHCC and Minnesota State Colleges and Universities are committed to preparing globally competent individuals by assisting them with world and modern language programs, globally connected classrooms, study abroad, international internships, as well as study-travel courses.
Why Should You Study Abroad?
- You earn college credits while traveling and living in another country.
- You have the opportunity to be immersed in a culture and possibly learn a language.
- You develop a greater appreciation for different cultures.
- You learn about yourself when encountering situations that are new and unfamiliar to you.
- You meet new people and make new friends.
- You experience a new education system and take courses not offered at your home school.
- You build your resume by having an authentic international experience.
- You improve your communication skills.
- You are more prepared for the ever increasing globalized world.
- You are bound to have a wonderful experience.
Resources to help get you started:
Study Abroad Programs Through Other Colleges
Most NHCC students participate on study abroad via other institutions. Your NHCC Study Abroad Advisor, Virginia Ferlet, can help you understand and navigate: application and deadlines, housing options, financial, scholarships, and transferring credits earned on study abroad toward your NHCC degree. Contact the NHCC Study Abroad Advisor or make your first appointment by calling the NHCC Advising Center at 763-424-0894. Virginia Ferlet firstname.lastname@example.org
Education for Global Learning (EGL)
NHCC is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities' (MnSCU) consortium of universities and colleges that promotes global learning in the United States and abroad. NHCC has access and support from the consortium's many member institutions. See EGL's highlighted program below.
EGL's Costa Rica Program with Ridgewater College
EGL Costa Rica Contacts:
Ruth Fairchild Kathy J. Steffen, Ed.D.
CMST Faculty English/Reading/CMST Faculty
Ridgewater College Ridgewater College
2101 15th Ave. NW 2 Century Ave.
Willmar, MN 56201 Hutchinson, MN 55350
Itasca Community College offers:
Normandale Community College offers:
- Czech Republic
Rochester Community and Technical College offers:
- Cambodia - Winter Break
- Guatemala - Summer
- Ecuador - After Spring
Also visit the following websites to explore a variety of study abroad programs:
Volunteer/Service Learning Opportunities:
Study Abroad Safety & Security Resources
For information regarding student health safety abroad, please visit www.travel.state.gov; for specific information about Minnesota students’ health and safety abroad, visit the following site at the Minnesota Office of Higher Education: http://www.ohe.state.mn.us/sPages/SAHS.cfm
Financial Programs that Help Pay to Study Abroad - Below are some financial resources and scholarships that may help pay to study abroad:
Example of a Study Abroad Blog
Chantelle Sundberg's studied at the University of Salamanca in Spain in the summer of 2012. Chantelle earned 6 college credits while in Spain. Some of those credits were earned by taking Spanish but she choose also took traditional college classes that were taught in English. Read her blog posts here.