The Associate of Arts (A.A.) is awarded for successful completion of 60 credits and is designed to constitute the first two years of a liberal arts bachelor degree program. An A.A. degree includes the entire 40 credit Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) as the general education requirement. Students may also choose to concentrate in a particular field of study in preparation for a planned major or professional emphasis at a four-year college by following the pre-major requirement of the desired transfer institution in addition to the MnTC and A.A. requirements.
A student shall:
- Earn a minimum of 60 semester credits.
- Earn a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or higher in courses taken at North Hennepin Community College.
- Earn a minimum of 20 semester credits of the 60 semester credits required for the A.A. Degree at NHCC.
- Complete the general education distribution requirement listed in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. The student shall select general education (MnTC) courses numbered 1000 or above to complete a minimum of 40 credits.
- Have four years in which to complete their work under the terms of the catalog in effect at the time of their first enrollment.
- Students taking more than four years to complete their graduation requirements may follow any catalog in effect during the four-year period preceding their date of graduation.
Required A.A. Degree Course Distribution:
- Complete 40 credits in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum satisfying the requirements for each of the 10 goal areas.
- Complete at least 4 credits for the Wellness requirement with at least one course from each of the following areas: Health (all courses) and Physical Education (all courses).
- Complete 16 elective credits selected from all courses listed in the College's offerings, which are numbered 1000 or higher.
Completion of an A.A. degree fulfills the Goal Area 2 requirement of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).
Some students may need preparatory course(s) in Math and/or English. Courses numbered below 1000 will not apply toward a degree.
Equal Opportunity Employer and Disability Access Information
North Hennepin Community College is a member of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system and an equal opportunity employer and educator. This document is available in alternative formats to individuals with disabilities by calling 763-493-0555 or through the Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529.